Monday, September 20, 2010

An interesting view on Vampirism.

Sometimes the strangest things pop into my head. Today I was sitting at my house wondering if my birthday present from my dad (Vampire Diaries Season 1) had arrived yet. As I sad there I began thinking about how my mom rolls her eyes every time I find a nw show, book, movie, etc... that has a supernatural theme. I wished there was some redeeming quality to some of these shows and things I watch. The more I began to think, the more I found that Vampires are a lot like Christians. Here, in this post, I will discuss my odd ramblings and strange thoughts. I will be discussing why I decided to continue writing this essay instead of dismissing it as just another random thought, salvation, view of sin, reputatoins, the afterlife (and the after-afterlife), and ending with differences.
First, I must state that I know vampires are not real. Sill statement--I know--but I felt like it might be necessary. However, I do believe there are some seriously messed up, strange and misguided people in the world who do partake in the drinking of human blood but no matter what they believe, it does not give them any kind of supernatural talents. Also, I do not claim to know much about vampiresm their history, or their nature. Another thing I am not is a biblical scholar so bear with me a little. I know that sounds like a lot of excuses but all of this is to say: I am no expert nor do I preend to be one. These are simply my opinions.
In the bible while having the Last Supper Jesus instructs his disciples to eat of his flesh and drink of his blood. I know he says bread and wine and to do so as a symbol, but the question I sask is this: What is the beginning of "vampirism" is derived from someone who did not understand figurative speech. What if it was someone who misunderstood the scripture and took it a little bit too literally. What if this person actually believed Jesus was promoting the eating and drinking of flesh and blood as means to some kind of spiritual enlightenment. When I think about it--it almost makes sense. By watching and reading the Twilight Saga and Vampire Diaries Series I have had a change of heart on vampirism. I see them in a different light.
The first similarity between Christians and Vampires is the quest for everlasting life. Vampires and Christians alike have tasks they must accomplish ot obtain or achieve their goal. Much like Christians who seek everlasting life through baptism, vampires go through a similar transformation. They perform an act (the drinking of human blood) that will make them "reborn" as a vampire the way Christians believe that through baptism their sins will be washed away and they will be reborn as a saved soul.
Another similarity between Christians and Vampires is their views of their own sins. Both sets are intensely aware of the fact that they have sinned and will continue sinning until they die. They do what they can to right their wrongs and use personal experience to spread the word and evoke awareness in other people. Vampires like Stefan Salvatore from the Vampire Diaries and the Cullen Famiily in Twilight try to change th other Vampires from drinking Human Blood and to survive on the blood of animals. Christians use testimony to persuade other people to see the error in their ways by pointing out their own flaws and showing them that there is an alternative way of living. They use testimony to convince others to see the the light, turn, and repent.
This brings up another similarity. Both have been given a bad reputation. In these stories that I've read, there are "good vampires" and "bad vampires." The Cullens and Stefan Salvatore are forced to suppress who they really are because the "bad vampires" have the world living in fear, afraid of being eaten or sucked dry. Likewise, Christians get a bad reputation as well sometimes. There are those who lie, cheat, steal, curse, gossip and set a generally bad example (we all do some of those at some point--its part of being human) of what Christianity is really about. There are people in the world whose only exposure they have to Christians are the kind who take joy in shoving their beliefs down non believer's throats (which, by the way, is no way to reach out to people).
The afterlife is an interesting topic to think about. For Christians, we believe everyone will ultimately end up in either Heaven or Hell when all is said and done, but what do Vampires believe? I mean, technically speaking, this is their afterlife. They get neigher Heaven nor Hell, but what will happen to them in their after-afterlife? what will happen when they go out in the sun, when that wooden stake goes through their no longer beating heart? What will really happen when they are ripped apart and burned? I don't know what the typical answer is, but I know what Edward Cullen thinks. He believes he is doomed for Hell. However Carlisle, whose father was a minister, does not necessarily agree with Edward's spiritual views.
Now is the time I have set aside to discuss their differences. This isn't where I go into detail about the differences though. Afterall, the main point of this essay is to discuss eerie similarities. Obviously there are many differences. For starters, Vampires are fictional and Christians are actual. We live, they are undead. Their everlasting life is here on earth and ours is in Heaven with God.
Now I hope you have enjoyed this interesting point of view. I know this may go beyond the valley of the wierd for some of my readers, but for me this took some serious thought. I hope maybe I have helped some of you see that there are redeeming qualities in Vampire stories. Though they are just for fun, they can really make you think.

1 comment:

  1. You're going to faint, but I like this post (even though you have too many typing errors...)

    Love you, dear one.

    ReplyDelete